Thursday, November 10, 2011

Building a Thanksgiving Menu


Does the idea of cooking Thanksgiving dinner stress you out?  Or are you like me, a food-nerd who looks forward to the planning process every year.

Does your family insist on the same thing prepared the same way every year otherwise it's "just not Thanksgiving"?  To some, that would be a comforting thought.  To those who love a creative kitchen this can be a frustrating cry.  I am fortunate in my situation that my Indian-born husband has no childhood notions about what has to be eaten at Thanksgiving dinner, so I can let my creative juices flow.

This year I have gone more "traditional" than ever before.  I will host a total of 5 adults and 3 kids, a perfect size to fit around my table.  My mom and a friend will help in the kitchen the day before while the three kids play.  Bo will take my brined turkey breast, smoke it in his beloved Big Green Egg, leaving oven space for my baked goods.

Can it all be so easy?

Have you decided what to make this year?  If you are still unsure, here is a taste of my menu:

Maple-Cider Brined Turkey with Bourbon-Cider Gravy
Butternut Squash and Corn Bread Stuffing Muffins

Swiss Chard and Leek Gratin
Roasted Butternut Squash & Red Peppers With Rosemary, Garlic & Parmesan
The Fluffiest Mashed Potatoes

Bourbon Pecan Pie
Chocolate Cake (bakery purchased)


No comments:

Post a Comment