Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Fresh Herb and Tomato Salsa with Smoked Cheese


The CSA is pouring the tomatoes on us and I say BRING IT!  I love tomatoes but even I am having trouble finding uses for all of them.  So internet searches and advice are the norm right now.

It is fun to make salsa, but I get bored with the traditional way of making it to dip chips in.  SO when I saw a salsa that acted more like a salad, I was intrigued.  Even more so when I realized this salsa had Mediterranean flavors mixed in.

And the verdict is this:  YUM!  It is fun with cooked chicken topped on a tortilla, but I also think it would make a great bruschetta topping or a great mix for a pasta salad.

If you are wanting new ways to use your summer tomatoes, give this one a try!

Fresh Herb-and-Tomato Salsa with Smoked Cheese (From Food and Wine Magazine)
  • 2 cups mixed yellow and red grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
  • 1/2 cup finely diced smoked Gouda, smoked cheddar or smoked Monterey Jack cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons shredded basil
  • 2 tablespoons snipped chives
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes with the cheese, cilantro, basil and chives. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment