The CSA is pouring the tomatoes on us and I say BRING IT! I love tomatoes but even I am having trouble finding uses for all of them. So internet searches and advice are the norm right now.
It is fun to make salsa, but I get bored with the traditional way of making it to dip chips in. SO when I saw a salsa that acted more like a salad, I was intrigued. Even more so when I realized this salsa had Mediterranean flavors mixed in.
And the verdict is this: YUM! It is fun with cooked chicken topped on a tortilla, but I also think it would make a great bruschetta topping or a great mix for a pasta salad.
If you are wanting new ways to use your summer tomatoes, give this one a try!
Fresh Herb-and-Tomato Salsa with Smoked Cheese (From Food and Wine Magazine)
- 2 cups mixed yellow and red grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup finely diced smoked Gouda, smoked cheddar or smoked Monterey Jack cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons shredded basil
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes with the cheese, cilantro, basil and chives. Season with salt and pepper and serve.