Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tupelo Honey Cafe Slaw


If you know me you know I love a New Cookbook!  Well this one is from a restaurant in Asheville, NC (my favorite place!)  The restaurant is Tupelo Honey Cafe and the the cookbook has the same name.  The restaurant has great Southern favorites with new and exciting twists.  It is a great book and I highly recommend it.

Well if you know me you also know I love slaw.  as soon as I saw it in the new book I decided it would be the first recipe I would try.  It is interesting - and by that I mean it is different from any other recipe I have tried.

Part of the fun is a slight hint of sweet from the ketchup, making it almost like a 1000 Island dressing.  Like most slaws this one is very forgiving so switch things around if you like.  Add more ketchup or less mayonnaise.  Double the stone ground mustard and dump the dijon.  Whatever you do decide, make the choice to try this recipe.

And speaking of Asheville, my blog and I will be on vacation from July 7 through July 21.  Have a great holiday and happy eating!



Tupelo Honey Coleslaw
From: "Tupelo Honey Cafe; Spirited Recipes from Asheville's  New South Kitchen" 
4 cups shredded green cabbage (from 1 medium cabbage)
2 cups shredded red cabbage (from 1 small red cabbage)
1 cup peeled, shredded carrot (about 2 large carrots)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4-1/2 teaspoons ketchup
5 tablespoons sugar
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
4-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup canola oil

Combine the green cabbage, red cabbage and carrot in a large bowl. 
In a separate bowl, combine the vinegar, ketchup and sugar, and stir until the sugar is dissolved. 
Put the vinegar mixture in a food processor and add the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, stone-ground mustard, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Blend and slowly drizzle in the canola oil until the mixture is emulsified. 
Combine the vegetables with the dressing, adding the dressing a little at a time until it suits your personal slaw-to-dressing ratio. Any leftover dressing can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 1 week.

No comments:

Post a Comment