Friday, July 22, 2011

Bo and Kim's CSA Adventure - Kohlrabi



I really love slaw.  I know you have heard that before but it is true.  It is the perfect combination of salad and refreshment, healthy crisp veggies meeting a dressing and sitting until they become perfect partners and perfect friends.


This slaw was a totally new concept for me.  I have never used kohlrabi before but I was intrigued when it was part of my CSA box and when I did a search and found several kolrabhi slaws, well I was sold.

Dont be tempted to use red apples in this recipe - they would provide a pretty color contrast but the sour flavor of the granny smith provides such a lovely contrast to the duller kohlrabi and sweetness of the raisins

It isnt the more exciting salad I have ever had, but it was fun to try.  If kohlrabi shows up in your CSA box or in your grocery cart, I recommend you try it like this!






Kohlrabi Slaw

4 kohlrabi, peeled and cut into chunks
2 Granny Smith apples, NOT peeled, cut into chunks
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 sunflower seeds
3/4 cup mayonnaise, greek yogurt or a combo
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 T sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Chop the kohlrabi and apple together in a food processor.  Place in a large bowl with the raisins and sunflower seeds.

In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar and sugar.  Mix in to taste (I rarely use all the dressing called for in a recipe).  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Refrigerate at least 2 hours to let the flavors meld.

No comments:

Post a Comment