Sunday, June 5, 2011

Bo and Kim's CSA Adventure



So last year I did a series each week called Wild Wednesday where I would purchase from the farmers market then make dinner based on what I found.

This year although I will still be attending the markets, I have also joined a CSA.  In case you are wondering, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  It is essentially your decision to purchase a share of a farm and each week receive a portion of that week's harvest.

I am looking forward to the challenge each week of getting a box of great produce and deciding how to cook it.  My goal will be to use everything I get sometime during the next week and I look forward to sharing it with all of you out there!

So week one there was nothing too exotic, but I did buy some things I wouldn't have purchased this time of year usually (like cauliflower).  The one thing I was excited about was a tender head of broccoli.  I say tender because it has a much different texture from what I usually buy at the store.  So I got out my books and found a recipe that could inspire me to completely chop it up.

And here it is

Broccoli with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Pine Nuts (Inspired by Fields of Greens)
1 head of broccoli
3 T balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 T olive oil
1 t each salt and pepper
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
2 T pine nuts, toasted

Cut the broccoli into florets,  If using the stems peel them if they are tough then chop.  Bring a pot of water to a boil and add a pinch of salt.  Cook the stems for 3 minutes then drop the florets in for another 1.  Drain then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking.  Drain well.

Toast the pine nuts on medium high in a dry skillet for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.  

In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.  Toss with cooled broccoli in a large bowl.  Add the tomatoes and pine nuts and toss.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

The broccoli is great at room temperature or chilled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment