I love food, and there are many things that I love, but at this time, it takes something special to really knock my socks off. Maybe it's because I'm used to many flavors being put together and although I love them, they aren't "new." But there are times...
And WOW - the socks come off! Sweet dates with tangy cheese touching salty prosciutto - forget using these as appetizers! Serve these bad boys as your main course!
The package will probably have extra dates but I found I had extra stuffing so it worked well and I used just a think stretch of proscuitto on each. They were perfect.
Cheese-Stuffed Dates with Prosciutto (Recipe from Giada De Laurentiis)
* 1/4 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese, at room temperature (If you have an aversion to goat cheese I believe cream cheese could be substituted successfully)
* 1/4 cup (2 ounces) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
* 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 16 Medjool dates (12 ounces), pitted
* 8 thin slices prosciutto, halved lengthwise
Special equipment: 16 toothpicks or cocktail picks
In a small bowl, mix together the cheeses and basil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Gently pull the dates apart and stuff with about 1/2 teaspoon of the cheese mixture. Close the dates around the filling. Wrap a piece of prosciutto around each date and secure with a toothpick.
Arrange the stuffed dates on a platter and serve.