Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bok Choy


So be prepared to see more side dishes on this blog.  I have signed up for a CSA box and am looking forward to sharing the recipes with you!

But this has nothing to do with the CSA box.  This has to do with me breaking out of my comfort zone and trying a few Asian recipes.  It is not something I have had interest in making in the past but with a husband who loves the cuisine, I am learning to cook something new.  And here is my first attempt at Bok Choy.   

Like with most recipes I cut back on the oil (I used 1 t each time it called for 1 1/2 and 1 t when it called for 1T for the sauce) and I still think it could have used less.  So next time, I try less. But other than it being a bit oily for my taste, the bok choy have a lovely blend of bitter and green with the sesame seeds adding a nutty necessity.  This could even be a repeater!

Baby Bok Choy with Sesame Soy Sauce (Adapted from Sunset Cookbook)

1 T sesame seeds
1 1/2 lbs baby bok choy, bottoms trimmed
1 T toasted Asian sesame oil, divided
1 T minced fresh ginger
3 T each dry sherry and soy sauce
1/8 tsp red chile flakes
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions

1. Toast sesame seeds in a large frying pan over medium-low heat, stirring, until golden, 3-5 minutes.  Pour out of pan and reserve.

2. Cut bok choy in half lengthwise.  Coat bottom of pan with 1 tsp oil.  Set over medium-high heat  When pan is hot lay bok choy, as many as will fit in a single layer, cut side down in pan.  Add 2 T water.  Cover and cook just until bok choy wilts, about 2 minutes.  Lift out of pan, drain briefly and arrange cut side up on a deep platter.  Remove any water from pan.  Cook remaining bok choy the same way, leaving water in the pan after the last batch.

3. Add 1 t oil and the ginger to the pan and cook, stirring, over high heat until ginger is lightly brown.  Add sherry and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and add soy sauce and chile flakes.

4. Pour sauce over bok choy.  Sprinkle with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.



No comments:

Post a Comment