Friday, July 23, 2010

"Power Bar"



When I first heard whisperings of this recipe, my ears perked up.  You see I have been looking for a post workout snack as I am tiring of the beautiful banana, and I have yet to find a bar at the store that I like.  Plus who has the money? So I thought Id give this a try.


My version below is similar to the original but I did make a few changes to suit my pantry's offerings.  At first glance they were a bit crumbly but after carefully cutting them then freezing, the one I tried (thawed of course) was perfect!



And sooooo much better than the kind in a wrapper!

Power"ful" Bars


1/2 cup nuts, coarsley chopped (I used walnuts, almonds and pecans)
1 1/2 cup unsweetened brown rice cereal
3/4 cups rolled oats
2 1/2 oz. dark chocolate chips
1 cup unsweetented dried dates, pitted and choped in fod processor until smooth
1/2 cup unsalted almond or peanut butter.
2 T raw honey




In a mixing bowl combine chopped nuts, rice cereal, and rolled oats. 
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or slowly in the microwave
Add dates, nut butter, and honey to chocolate and mix until fully combined.
Using a wooden spoon, fold the chocolate mixture into the cereal mixture. 
Press into an 8x8 pan.  Press the mixture down firmly
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until the mixture is set.
Cut into 24 squares. Squares can be stored in refrigerator 3-5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment