Saturday, May 22, 2010

Linguine with Lemon Sauce


Doesnt it look good? I LOVE pasta. I really could eat it every day of the week, but due to the fact that I need some protein in my life, (which I could easily forget to eat), I don't make it often.

This was Bo's request. He loves pasta!

I know there are many great Italian artists out there. And I have several Italian cookbooks by different authors. But I usually reach first for Giada. Many of her recipes pull from her California heritage as well as her Italian roots. They are light on ingredients and calories, but heavy on flavor.

That is how I try to cook.

So the recipe I chose was from "Giada's Kitchen". I used the recipe Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil as inspiration only, making numerous changes.

The final product did not disappoint. Light and healthy, heavy on flavor. Lots of veggies and no, I did not add the shrimp. One of our weekly vegetarian nights.

Linguine with Lemon Sauce (Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis)

1 lb linguine
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1 lemon, zested
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 red bell peppers, diced (roasted peppers work great here!)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
fresh grated parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 6-7 minutes. Drain pasta, over the peppers if they are not roasted, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.

Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cooked linguine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine. Turn off the heat and add the peas. If needed, add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add some of the cooking water to desired consistency. Add the grated parmesan cheese to the pasta and toss to combine.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I want to eat this for dinner tonight. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO it Do it!!!
    Give the leftovers to Berkley!! (Im jealous I didnt use that name first!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crimeny, this sounds so fresh and easy. Question, though, I have this weird aversion to peas. Do you think a little lightly sauteed spinach could go in the place of them? I'm just not sure about spinach and the peppers. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think lightly sauteed spinach would be good as well as broccoli or broccolini. For spinach Im not sure I would even sautee it - O would put it in the colander and let it lightly steam when pouring the pasta and hot water over it :)

    Nice to see you back!!!

    ReplyDelete