Saturday, October 24, 2009

White Pizza


Hopefully better pictures are soon on the way...

Last night we did a simple pizza with a green salad. After much research I decided on a White Pizza. After looking at numerous recipes I decided using elements of different recipes and making my own.

I started out making an 8-inch pizza dough, rolling it out and letting it rest while pre-heating the oven to 550 (for about 40 minutes)

Next I crushed and sliced 4 cloves of garlic and slowly simmered it in 1-2 T olive oil (I didnt measure) and sea salt, being careful not to let it brown. This was poured into a small bowl to let cool.

Then I thinly sliced 1/2 of a yellow onion and did a quick par-cook in the pan that formerly held the garlic. While the onion softened, I did another thin slice, this time on a ripe tomato.

Now for the cheese: I finely diced a small chunk of part-skim mozzarella and a small chunk of provolone and tossed them together in a bowl. I placed them back into the fridge until needed.

I turned my attention back to the dough, using my fingers to push it out one last time before using my new pizza peel to slide it into the hot pizza stone for 2 minutes, pulling it out and turning it over to dress.

It was then time to construct the pie:

The olive oil and garlic were brushed onto the crust. The soft onions were sprinkled over next, then the tomatoes were placed around the edges. Finally the cheese came out and was sprinkled over the waiting ingredients. The final step, the hot oven. After it spent 7 minutes on the hot stone, it was pulled out, sliced and eagerly placed in our mouths!

It was great! The only changes I would make would be to use red onion for stronger flavor, a bit less oil and a bit less cheese - if you know me at all you are surprised by this statement, but it overpowered the onion and tomato - but overall it was a great pizza!

In case you are wondering, it goes wonderful with a green salad and a glass of chianti, followed by a chocolate biscotti!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment