Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Chipotle Mashed Potatoes


potatoes, originally uploaded by Kim De.

I love getting recipes from other blogs! I am a frequent reader of Culinary in the Desert – I believe the author Joe and share a taste bud! As soon as I saw this recipe on his blog I put it into my meal plan.

Mashed potatoes are one of those comforting, cold weather foods that I only make a few times a year. The first time each year comes with some of my favorite things: the sun going down earlier, the leaves changing, wearing pants and long sleeved shirts - this week had “mashed potato” written all over it!

This was a great recipe. I cut down a bit on the calories by replacing some of the butter with greek yogurt – I find that greek yogurt serves the same creamy purpose with less calories. I doubled the amount of chipotle pepper because I love its smokiness and it called for corn – I decided to leave that out.

These potatoes were very creamy and the peppers created a wonderful smokiness. It was a wonderful side for the roast turkey breast we had for dinner!


Chipotle Mashed Potatoes (Adapted from Sunset and Culinary in the Desert)

2-2.5 pounds russet potatoes, cut into chunks
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1 T plain greek yogurt
1/2-2/3 cup milk, warmed
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
salt and fresh ground black pepper

Add the potatoes to a large saucepan and cover with water - season generously with salt. Bring potatoes to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well - place potatoes back into the saucepan and return over low heat. Gently stir potatoes, allowing any excess liquid to evaporate away. Add butter, yogurt and warmed milk Mash potatoes with a potato masher to desired consistency - I leave the skin on. Stir in chipotles and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment