Monday, October 26, 2009

Chicken with Fresh Sweet Basil


Basil Chicken, originally uploaded by Kim De.

I am one lucky girl! I have a husband who not only is a great cook, but he also likes to cook!! I am the main cook in our house, but every once in awhile he will ask me to set a night aside for him. He digs into the cookbooks and comes up with something I dont usually make - Chinese, Indian or Thai.

Last night is was Thai. He bought me a Thai cookbook for my birthday and quickly found a recipe he thought might mimic one of our restaurant favorites, Chicken with Fresh Sweet Basil.

He didnt need help. I didnt know what to do with myself - I tried to read a book, but soon the aromas coming from the kitchen began to distract me. Aromatic and spicy are how I would describe them. And the recipe was quick and easy. It would be great for a worknight meal, the hardest part being chopping the chicken and pepper. After that, it cooks in about 10 minutes.

It tasted wonderful over a bed of brown rice. We are already talking about variations to make it even more like our favorite dish. I'm sure we will be making this again soon!

Chicken with Fresh Sweet Basil (Adapted from Keo's Thai Cuisine)

1/2 pound Boneless chicken breast
3 tablespoons Oyster sauce
2 tablespoons Oil
2 Red chile peppers, chopped
3 Garlic cloves (chopped)
15 Thai Basil leaves
3 Kaffir lime leaves, cut into thin strips
1/2 cup mushrooms


Thinly slice chicken into 2-inch strips. In a wok heat oil, garlic and lime leaves on high heat until the oil bubbles. Add chicken, mushrooms, oyster sauce and red chile peppers. Stir fry for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.

Mix in basil and serve on rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment