Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pan Seared Calamari


Pan Seared Calamari, originally uploaded by Kim De.

I am on a major calamari kick. I kid you not, I could eat it every week! Although I like it fried IF done well, I really enjoy it grilled, pan fried etc.

In looking at the menu for this week, I knew I wanted to make some italian dishes, so began a search for those with calamari. It wasnt long before I found several recipes that fit the bill - which translates to LOTS of new recipes to make over the next few weeks!

I decided to start with one by Robin Miller on Foodtv.com. It seemed easy to make on a busy day, but still looked very tasty, I had a frozen mixture of shrimp, scallops and squid, so I used that. As I always keep a stash of Lindrusso's Marinara Magnifico in the freezer, I used that instead of canned. Lastly, I added a touch of white wine to thin out the sauce. Served over whole wheat penne with a salad of mixed greens, a glass of chianti rounded out the meal. We both enjoyed it!


Pan-Seared Calamari with Spicy Marinara over Linguine (Adapted from Foodtv)

1 pound whole wheat penne
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound calamari, sliced into rings (I used calamari, shrimp and scallops)
6 cups pasta sauce
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Chopped fresh basil leaves, optional

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add calamari to the skillet and cook 2 minutes. Then add wine, pasta sauce and crushed red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes, until calamari is tender.

Transfer penne to a serving platter. Spoon all of the calamari and tomato sauce over pasta. Garnish with basil, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. OMG we are food sisters. I love, love pasta with grilled calamari. Love the texture. Just love it.

    And I love shrimp and scallops.

    And now I'm hungry -- thanks a lot! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having calamari again this weekend - with either mussels or shrimp!!!! MMMMMM

    ReplyDelete