Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Macaroni and Cheese experiment


Mac n cheese, originally uploaded by Kim De.

This week you wont see much of me - lots of "make up as I go along" cooking coupled with some dinner plans make for a "low recipe/low blogging" week.

I did cook something for dinner Tuesday night. I made my favorite broccoli salad (blogged here) with some grilled chicken and macaroni and cheese.

When will I learn? I am a girl who wants her grandma's baked macaroni and cheese. Cheese diced not shredded; cheese added separate from the white sauce; crunchy on top from a good time in the oven. As much as I love this combination, every once in a while I decide its time to try something new. The recipe looks interesting, it came from a good source, so it must be good, right? Well taste is in the eye of the beholder (or something like that) and I need the old fashioned baked mac 'n' cheese.

This recipe was easy to make, and the final product had flavor, but it was creamy with a cheese sauce and no crunch on top. Not what my mouth needs. I do think a touch of butter (even just 1T) would have helped it be a bit creamier and less "gummy", but even then, it would not be my go-to comfort food.

If you or your family like stove-top macaroni and cheese, you should give this one a go (but add 1T butter to the flour before slowly adding the milk) . If you ever do, let me know your thoughts.

And dont worry. I will make the baked kind soon enough!

Stovetop Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese (Adapted from Whole Foods)

8 ounces dry whole wheat elbow macaroni
1 cup nonfat milk
2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Cayenne to taste (optional)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well. (NOTE I dont like my pasta done this much – I start checking it after 7 minutes)

Meanwhile, whisk together milk, flour, mustard and cayenne in a large saucepan until completely blended then cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add cheeses and stir gently until melted, then add drained pasta to sauce. Season with salt and pepper, stir well and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment