Thursday, March 22, 2012

Black Bean Salad


It's amazing to me how the simplest of recipes can be the ones that Bo loves the best.  And let me tell you this one is SIMPLE!

I began making bean and grain salads for lunch when I lived in Houston.  Hot days made a cool salad the perfect treat at lunchtime.  But for some reason I haven't made them much since I moved to TN which means Bo hadn't really tried any of them.  He will be trying them now.  I can see these being on our lunch rotation many times as the weather gets warmer.

If you decide to try this feel free to be creative.  Don't like black beans?  Use a different kind.  Mix up the veggies.  Add a grain and take out the corn.  Have some fun with the herbs and spices.

And don't worry.  I'm sure I will be back to post more of my creations!

Bean and Corn Salad

1 1/2 cups frozen corn (or as the season warrants, fresh!)
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 shallot diced and soaked in 2 T lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapenos, tops cut off and diced
(feel free to remove the seeds, I like to keep them in)
1/2 small red or green pepper, top cut off, seeds removed and diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 - 1 1/2 T fruity or spicy olive oil
1 - 1 1/2 T honey
2 T lime juice
Salt and black pepper to taste

Drain the shallot.  Thaw the corn then toss with beans, shallot, garlic, both peppers and cilantro.  In a small bowl mix the oil, honey and lime juice.  Add to the bean salad and toss.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

  1. Kim, this salad looks so delicious and simple! What a great side dish this would make, or as a topping on grilled meat. Thanks for sharing. Also, I’m having a great giveaway today with four potential prize winners, so you should enter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Georgia- thanks! It is a tasty dish!

    ReplyDelete