Monday, December 5, 2011

Asian Marinated Flank Steak With Wasabi Mashed Potatoes



I subscribe to several fitness-style magazines and I tend to zip right by the makeup sections, the fashion area and I don't normally make recipes from my exercise magazines.  In fact I don't think I've ever cooked from one of them.  But as soon as I saw this recipe, I knew Bo would love it and I had to give it a whirl.  And I was right.  In fact I heard something I have heard in awhile "You've outdone yourself honey!"



I followed the recipe as written with a  few minor changes that I noted below.  There was leftover marinade that I tossed with fresh green beans and cooked in my cast iron skillet.  





In the magazine picture of the potatoes they were a lovely green color from the wasabi paste.  My potatoes didn't show even a hint of green even though I doubled the paste.  Hmmmm, maybe I should have added green food coloring too.  


If you don't like things spicy at all, use less Siracha.  The steak was a pleasant level of heat for us, and the potatoes picked up the sharpness of the wasabi without the heat.


If I tended to make recipes more than once, this one would be a repeater!

Asian Marinated Flank Steak With Wasabi Mashed Potatoes (Fitness Magazine)
  • 1 1/4 pounds  flank steak
  • 1/4 cup  soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons  toasted sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon  hot chili sauce, such as Siracha
  • 1 tablespoon  honey
  • 1 teaspoon  minced fresh ginger
  • 3 pounds  russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 cup  unsweetened almond milk (I used regular skim milk and used closer to 3/4 cup)
  • 1/2 cup  nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 teaspoon  ground ginger (I didn't have this so I let it out)
  • 1 teaspoon  wasabi paste (I doubled the paste)
  • 1 teaspoon  salt
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place the steak, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili sauce, honey and fresh ginger in a ziplock freezer bag. Close the bag and turn it to coat the steak with the marinade. Marinate at room temperature 15 minutes.

2. Add the potatoes to the boiling water. Cook until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain fully and return to pot. Pour in the almond milk and mash until smooth. Gently fold in the yogurt and add the ground ginger, wasabi paste and salt.

3. Meanwhile, heat a large pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the marinade, then the steak, to the pan. Sear steak 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.

4. Slice steak into 1/4-inch-thick pieces. Serve with mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment