Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Basic Potato Salad


I have given up trying to replicate the potato salad my Granny J always made.  Since she really didn't enjoy cooking, I'm sure it was a fairly basic recipe but after years of making it, it was probably tweaked to her own specs.  So after a few years of trying to make it the same way, I have decided to make it MY way.

Or my wayS - because I am still tweaking, because I like to make side dishes that enhance the main dish and because I don't like to make things the same way twice, I will probably never develop an exact recipe that can be linked to me.  But the recipe you see below is my basic recipe and the pepper and onions can easily be removed, manipulated and changed to look like a totally different dish the next time.

This night I used the roasted pepper and green onion for a slightly smoky flavor with only a hint of heat.  It was perfect with Rum Beans.

My Basic Potato Salad

6 medium sized re potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
1 small poblano pepper
2 green onions, green parts only, chopped
1 T plus 2 t white vinegar
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup greek yogurt
salt and pepper

Fill a large pan with cold, salted water.  Add the potatoes and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer 8-10 minutes or until fork tender.  Drain then rinse with cold water.  Toss with 1 T white vinegar, then drain again. Toss with 1t salt and 1 t of pepper  then refrigerate.

Roast the pepper over the gas burner or broil, turning until all sides are black.  Place in a plastic or paper bag, close and steam for 15 minutes.  Run under water to remove the black peel then seed and chop.  Remove the potatoes from the refrigerator.  Chop into bite size pieces.  Toss the pepper and the green onion with the potatoes.  Place back into the refrigerator until completely chilled.

Mix the mayonnaise, yogurt and 2 t of vinegar.  Begin to add in small increments to the potatoes until it is hte consistency you like.  Add more salt and pepper to taste.  Chill at least an hour to let flavors meld.  

No comments:

Post a Comment