Thursday, July 28, 2011

Beef Short Ribs with Blackberry Mole



I became obsessed with making this after seeing it on a menu.  Notice I didn't say I ate it.  No, we didn't order it, but I couldnt get it out of my head.  I had to have it.  I found a recipe for short ribs and modified it to fit my needs.  This is a bit funny because I have never even eaten short ribs.  But I knew I could guess what they should taste like.


The mole became very easy after I mentioned it to some foodie friends and one had a recipe that was perfect (Thanks Susan!)  So to the kitchen I went.  I made the mole a day early and also pickled a red onion for garnish.  I cooked the short ribs slowly in the crockpot, throwing together a slaw and a corn spoonbread during the final hour.

The beef was tender and falling off the bone.  The mole was deep and chocolaty with the blackberries lending thier own sour notes.  And while I will never know how it compares to the restaurant version, we loved it and that is all that matters

Beef Short Ribs

2 tablespoons rich-tasting pork lard or vegetable oil
2 generous pounds bone-in beef short ribs
1 large white onion, sliced
6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 12 ounce bottle brown ale
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, fire roasted are preferred
Salt
1 t dried epazote
1 t dried Mexican oregano

In a medium-large (4- to 6-quart) pot heat the oil over medium-high. Lay in the short ribs in a single, uncrowded layer. When browned on one side, about 5 minutes, turn them over and brown the other side, 3 to 5 minutes more. Remove to a plate and tip off all but about 1 T oil.

Set the pan back on the stove and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stir for another minute, then add the tomatoes with their juice and the beer. Stir occasionally until the tomatoes have softened, 3-4 minutes Stir in the salt and the herbs.

Pour the tomato mixture into the bowl of a crockpot.  Lay the beef into the sauce, spooning some over the top. Cook on high for 1 hour then turn down the heat for another 2-3 hours.  Additionally cook on low for 5-6 hours.

Serve with Blackberry Mole (Recipe from Sneezles)

4 dried pasilla, stemmed and seeded
4 dried New Mexico chiles, stemmed and seeded
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup fresh blackberries
2 tbs sesame seeds (I like to toast them)
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 corn tortilla, torn into pieces
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon(I don't use Vietnamese here)
1/4 tsp fresh ground coriander seeds
3 tbs olive oil
1 cup chicken stock
2 oz bittersweet chocolate or 2 tbs baking cocoa

1. Combine the pasilla through the coriander in a blender and purée until smooth.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet, sauté the purée in hot oil for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add stock and chocolate; cook over very low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.









No comments:

Post a Comment