Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cucumber Salad



I love cucumbers!  They are refreshing and have an amazing "green" flavor.  Yes, I said green.  I can't think of any other way to describe it!  And they always taste so cold, somehow colder than other veggies.  So of course I wanted to make this incredible looking cucumber salad!

It was paired with a recipe for Grilled Lemon-Dill Salmon (which you will see in my next blog).  THe cucumber salad looked so good I actually made the salmon to go with it (not a huge fan).  And I bet you want to know how the salad went over?  Well let me tell you!

INCREDIBLY TASTY, HEALTHY FEEL, FRESH FLAVOR - and it doesnt have any oil in it so it is truely 100% low cal!

Very few recipes are repeats in our house - just too many to make - but this one will be used over and over this summer!  Oh, and I changed the recipe up a bit.  I hope you don't mind!

Cucumber Salad (Inspired by Sunset Cookbook)
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1/2  thinly sliced red onion, soaked in cold water then drained
  • 2  tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1  teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2  teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
  • dill (fresh or dried) to taste
  • lemon zest to taste
If possible, slice the cucumber paper-thin in a food processor.  Otherwise slice as thin as you can.  Cut onions also in paper thin slices then chop. In a bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, and salt. Add cucumber, onions,  lemon zest and dill, and toss gently to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment