Thursday, March 10, 2011

Asparagus, Spring Onion, and Morel Mushroom Sauté


Vegetables are my nemesis.  Not because I don't love them, because I do, but because I dont give them much thought.  They end up becoming a quick salad or sauteed green beans from the freezer because I focused on the fish, pasta or whatever else I decided to cook.  I pledge frequently to be a bit more creative with sides, but then is falls to the wayside.  So when I see recipes like this one, I become terribly excited.






This particular saute was quite easy to make and was a treat to the taste buds.  So if you are in a veggie rut as I am, here is a great one to try!

Asparagus, Spring Onion, and Morel Mushroom Sauté (Original from Sunset Cookbook)

1/3 pound fresh morel mushrooms or 1 oz. dried 

3 bunches asparagus, ends cut off
3 bunches green onions, white and pale green parts only, root ends trimmed

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt

1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. If using dried morels, put them in a small bowl, cover with 1 cup boiling water, and let stand 10 minutes. Lift out and pat dry.

2. Meanwhile, generously salt remaining boiling water. Fill a large bowl with ice and cold water and set near the stove. Add asparagus to boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from water and immediately plunge into ice bath to stop cooking. Repeat process with green onions. Drain asparagus and onions on paper towels, then cut asparagus spears in half.

3. In a large frying pan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add morels, asparagus, and onions and cook 1 minute, tossing gently to coat with butter. Stir in crème fraîche and season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until heated through, 4 minutes longer. Transfer to a serving dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment