Monday, November 1, 2010

Absolutely Gorgeous Tomato Soup

Welcome to the 2nd best month of the year!!!

 

Gorgeous Tomato Soup.  I'm not sure much more needs to be said.  I really can't stomach the flavor of grocery store soups, but I love tomato, so the time had come to find one to make at home.


I played with some recipes, practiced on my stove until I found what I think is the perfect soup.  At least for me.
 
Feel free to add more veggies - green beans and/or corn would be fabulous.  Carrots will only add more antioxidents.  Also white or black beans would make for a great full meal with some crusty bread.  Or have it like we did - as written with a procuitto and sharp provolone panini!

Absolutely Gorgeous Tomato Soup
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (fire roasted will leave a nice kick)
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth 
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 teaspoons oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • Sea salt and pepper to taste
In a large sauce pan or dutch oven melt the oil.  Add the onion, garlic and oregano and saute until soft, about four minutes.  Add the tomatoes, broth, water, bay leaf, red pepper flakes. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, covered. Season with salt and pepper.

Great add-ons include green onions, shredded cheese, sour cream or plain yogurt etc.  If it is too thick for your family, add a touch more water.


No comments:

Post a Comment