Gorgeous Tomato Soup. I'm not sure much more needs to be said. I really can't stomach the flavor of grocery store soups, but I love tomato, so the time had come to find one to make at home.
I played with some recipes, practiced on my stove until I found what I think is the perfect soup. At least for me.
Feel free to add more veggies - green beans and/or corn would be fabulous. Carrots will only add more antioxidents. Also white or black beans would make for a great full meal with some crusty bread. Or have it like we did - as written with a procuitto and sharp provolone panini!
Absolutely Gorgeous Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (fire roasted will leave a nice kick)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Great add-ons include green onions, shredded cheese, sour cream or plain yogurt etc. If it is too thick for your family, add a touch more water.