Thursday, September 2, 2010

Jalapeno Chips

HAPPY SEPTEMBER!!!
If you know me personally, you know this is a HUGE deal to me.  I can't stand summer.  I despise the heat.  The fact that Bo's birthday is in July is the only positive I find in either July or August.
I know that on the calendar, fall is about 20 days away.  That's ok.  Because when September 1st hits, I know it is on the way, that the weather could start to turn at any time, and that I can survive! 


Now that that has been said.... on to the food.
One of our favorite snacks from one of our favorite restaurants is jalapeno chips.  Ummmmm, crunchy, tart, spicy - they are amazing.  And of course, fried. 

A few weeks ago I discovered these baked-fried green tomatoes and thought, "Why not?"  So I tried and surprised Bo one night with dinner.  They work!  You can't tell they aren't fried.  Serve with a creamy homemade ranch dressing to add a cooling blend and ice cold beer.  You will have a very happy husband!

Batter'd and Fried Jalapeno Chips

1 cup pickled jalapenos peppers
1 cup milk mixed with 1 T white vinegar
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup corn meal
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400.  Heat a baking sheet for 10 minutes prior to baking.

Drain the jalapenos on paper towel and let sit on plate for an hour to dry.

Mix the milk and vinegar in a large bowl and let sit for at least 5 minutes.  Toss the jalapenos in the milk.

In another large bowl mix the flour, corn meal, salt and pepper.  Remove the jalapenos from the milk with a slotted spoon of your hands and add to the flour mixture.

Toss well to coat all of the peppers.  Place the peppers on the oiled pan.  Use your fingers to make sure they are separated.  Cook for 10 minutes, turn and cook for another 5, or until lightly browned.

Serve with creamy ranch dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment