Friday, August 20, 2010

Kitchen Sink Frittata

"Kitchen sink" is the title I give to anything I make by using leftovers. 

One of the reasons I love eggs, besides being a inexpensive perfect protein source, is their ability to morph refrigerator leftovers into a complete meal.


My fridge contained mushrooms that were in need, red peppers that were in need, and pork sausage that was in need  Sounds like an egg night to me!

Next time you have some veggies that need to be used, use then with eggs.  Scrambled is the easiest way, but I love making frittatas.  Oh, and if your family makes a face at eggs for dinner, just ignore it.  That attitude will go away upon first bite!

Here is a rough recipe of what I made that night.  Amounts are rough estimates.

Kitchen Sink Frittata

1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 lb pork sausage
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2-1 cup shredded cheese (optional - I didn't use it this time)

Preheat the oven to 400

Mix the eggs and milk and add salt and pepper.  Set aside.

Spray or oil a oven-proof. Saute the mushrooms and pepper until beginning to soften.  Add the sausage and brown.  Turn heat to low.  Pour the egg mixture into the pan, tipping it to spread the eggs around.  Cook until the eggs begin to set. 

Cover with foil and place in the oven.  Bake 5 minutes or until the egg are just set.

Serve over greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment