Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wild Wednesday - Fresh Corn Salad


This week I took a turn through the Woodbine Farmers Market.  It is serving south Nashville (and those of us will travel anywhere for a good farmers market) and is filling a much needed niche.  It was busy and full of happy people and I look forward to visiting them again!

When I got home my bag of goodies included corn and zucchini.  I wanted to play with the corn a bit, do something different from the usual boiled or grilled ear with butter and salt.  So I decided raw, and do it in salad.

I grew up in corn country.  Indiana.  Corn as far as the eye can see.  But I don't remember every having it raw until several years ago when foodie friends introduced it to me.  When eaten raw, the corn retains all of its sweetness and as it is sliced off the cob, the beautiful corn-milk comes along for the ride, helping to make the basis for a wonderful sauce.

And with your leftover corn, because you know you will over-buy, I recommend you try Moisturizing Corn Milk and Lavender Facial Toner from my friend at Crunchy Betty.  Your skin will thank you for it!

And before you get the recipe:

Reason #6 to buy local

Local food builds a stronger community. When you buy direct from a farmer, you are re-establishing a time-honored connection between the eater and the grower. Knowing the farmers gives you insight into the seasons, the weather, and the miracle of raising food.

Fresh Corn Salad

2 ears corn, shucked and washed
1/2 red pepper, chopped ** (use any combo of vegetables you desire.  I had a red pepper so I threw it in)
1/2 zucchini, sliced into rounds then in half
6 pear tomatoes, sliced in half
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
salt and pepper

Carefully slice the corn kernels onto a plate or bowl.  Toss with the rest of the vegetables and the cilantro.  Salt and pepper to taste.

This is the part where you get to be creative.  This is great with no additional sauce.  Or a touch of grainy mustard alone.  Maybe a hint of ranch dressing.  A newly mixed balsamic vinegar and oil blend.  Use your imagination and have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Yay toner! And I don't think I've ever eaten corn raw, either. But I have had it freeze-dried. Yummimest late-night snack ever. Will have to buy more ears and try this soon!

    (PS - Now you're the goddess.)

    ReplyDelete