Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Grilled Shrimp with Basil Sauce


I love spring. Not as much as I love autumn with it's crisp air, smell of falling leaves and the promise of winter to come...but I digress.

Spring represents the time to fire up the grill before it becomes too hot. To purchase fresh vegetables (from your local farmer if you can). To eat lighter meals so those shorts fit correctly. I do love this time of year.

The shrimp you see above was grilled simply with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. It's simplicity helped it to become one component of an amazing dinner.

You do see the grilled polenta as the base. I thought is deserved it's own accolades, so I blogged about it here.

The final part of the trinity is the basil sauce, made from basil straight from my deck. Don't look at it and think "pesto". Pesto is thick. This is thinner, a sauce. It isnt meant to be the star. Just part of the harmonious trio.

Basil Sauce (Adapted from Epicurious)

1 cup fresh basil
2 tablespoons water
1 small garlic clove
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil (or more for the consistency you like)
Pinch of sugar

Puree basil, water, garlic, lemon juice, oil, and sugar in a blender, scraping down sides frequently, until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment