Monday, May 17, 2010

Grilled Avocado with Tomato Salad


In all the years I am been grilling - meats, veggies AND fruits, it had never even occurred to me to grill an avocado.  Lets face it.  Grilling makes great food even better.  But with the perfect avocado, there is no room for improvement.

Or so I thought...


When purchasing the Egg, our salesperson mentioned grilling avocados the night before.  Avocado???  What an idea.  I immediately began searching for ideas about the best way to do it.  After months and months of research (I kid - about an hour) I had read enough different recipes to decide how I would make ours.

I can't believe how great these were!  I made a tomato relish as an accompaniment, but I really think simply grilled with salt and pepper would be perfection.  Or use the grilled fruit to make guacamole. 

 look at those grill marks - a thing of beauty, no?


Grilled Avocado with Tomato Relish 

2 ripe beef steak tomatoes, halved and seeded and finely diced
2 cloves garlic
1 small red onion, diced
2 ripe Hass avocados, halved and peeled and pitted
Olive oil
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled


Combine tomatoes, onion and garlic in a bowl.  Add 1 T of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Heat grill to medium. Brush avocado with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill cut side down until lightly golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove to a platter, cut side up.

Place some of the tomato mixture on top of each avocado and sprinkle with the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment