Friday, April 23, 2010

Grilled Smashed Potatoes


I love potatoes. I mean I REALLY love them! I cant think of many ways I dont like them, as long as they are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, I am in heaven.

Except for baked or roasted, I haven't had much luck making them the way I like them. I don't deep fry them and try not to cook them in much oil, which makes it difficult to get them the way restaurants do - until I found this.

Now that spring is here, I am anxious to grill as much food as I can. And with this finding, the grill crisps the outside while cooking the inside. And it is very easy, can be prepped in advance, and would be great for a party.


Even a party for two!

Garlic Smashed Potatoes (Adapted from Epicurious)

16 small red-skinned and/or white-skinned potatoes (about 2 inches in diameter)
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Chopped chives, optional


Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to wax or parchment paper. Cool potatoes to lukewarm, about 20 minutes. Using another piece of wax or parchment, gently press each potato until split open and flattened to scant 1-inch thickness (don't press too flat or potatoes will break apart).

Brush a large baking sheet with oil. Transfer potatoes to prepared sheet. Brush potato tops with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.

DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.

Prepare the grill to medium-high heat. Place potatoes, oiled side down, on the grill or on a grill pan. Brush with oil. Cook until crisp and beginning to color, about 5 minutes per side.

Transfer to platter; sprinkle with chives if desired and serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! I too love potatoes!!! Keep them coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to see this on your blog! I made the original recipe a few weeks ago and LOVED them- can't wait to try your adaptation on the grill. I wouldn't have thought to try making them on the grill- great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting - this is the first version I have seen. What is different about the original??

    ReplyDelete