Friday, February 19, 2010

Haitian Coleslaw


haitian slaw, originally uploaded by Kim De.

I LOVE COLESLAW!!

Its a strange thing for me to say. I hated it as a kid. Ya know the kind. Limp cabbage. A few tiny carrots. Soupy sauce. Served at every carry-in (at least in the Midwest!).

Oh, and not to get too off subject, but I need to discuss the term "carry-in". That is what we called a pot-luck. Bo thinks it is weird. Anyone else heard that term?

Back to my new love of cabbage. Once I learned to make coleslaw with fresh cabbage (not from a bag) and to become picky about the flavors involved-and-amount of the sauce used, I found its brilliance. Find the right one, make a few adjustments, and it can go with any main dish!

I am now having fun trying out new recipes. Loads of research goes into finding slaw recipes that match the theme of the evening.

Yes, my evenings have themes. We can discuss that later.

This slaw was my least favorite so far. Nothing wrong with it, it just didn't wow me. It did taste better the next day, but still, no taste bud fireworks.

Love them fireworks!

Haitian Coleslaw (Adapted from Bon Appétit)

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon sugar
2 small serrano chilies, seeded, minced (about 2 1/2 teaspoons)
1 garlic clove, minced
8 cups (packed) shredded cabbage (about 1 1/4 pounds)
2 cups (packed) shredded carrots (about 2 large)

Whisk mayonnaise, olive oil, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard, sugar, chilies and garlic in medium bowl to blend.

Toss cabbage and carrots in large bowl with enough dressing to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let flavors meld at room temperature for an hour, or in the refrigerator for four. Serve cold or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment