Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Grilled Filet with Venezuelan Guasca Sauce


argentinean guasca sauce, originally uploaded by Kim De.

I want to start this post with a hearty thank you to Dona Masita. She has honored me with the Beautiful Blogger Award. She and I share a love of cooking, and the motivation of cooking for love. It is nice to be recognized by fellow bloggers! I will have the pleasure of passing this award along to others in the future.
I don't want to leave this blog without a recipe, though! Pulling out my Latin Flavors on the Grill book, this steak recipe caught my eye. We eat steak once every 1-2 months and although Bo is completely content to eat it seared with simple salt and pepper, I am never fulfilled by this offering. The title states that porterhouse is to be used, but filet is the cut we keep in the freezer and I didn't think it would ruin the dish.

I was right!

The steak was seared simply, with salt and pepper, just as Bo likes it. However the highlight is the guasca sauce. Creamy from the avocado, tangy from the vinegar and a hint of heat from the serranos, it was just the thing to liven up our steak! I also think it would work on pork or chicken, or just make a good dip for some thick tortilla chips!

Grilled Filet with Venezuelan Guasca Sauce (Adapted from Douglas Rodriguez)

Sauce
1 red onion
5 cloves garlic
2 serrano chiles, chopped
4 ripe Hass avocados, peeled and pitted
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup pure olive oil
1 T mustard powder
1 T brown mustard
3 T chopped cilantro
1 T prepared horseradish
2 cups peeled and seeded ripe plum tomatoes
Salt

3 (2-lb) steaks, any cut
salt and pepper

To make the sauce, combine the onion, garlic and chile in a mortar and mash into a paste with the pestle. In a blender, combine the avocados, vinegar, oil and mustards and puree. Add the garlic mixture and puree until smooth.

Preheat the oven to 450. Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Sear them in a hot skillet on the first side. Turn them over and place in skillet in the oven for 2-5 minutes.

Transfer to a serving dish and spread the sauce over.

No comments:

Post a Comment