Friday, January 22, 2010

Tuna with Tomatillo Avocado Salsa


tuna with tomatillo, originally uploaded by Kim De.

One of my New Year goals is to start serving fish or seafood two times a week. It would be easy to fall back on shrimp all the time, but that wouldn't provide all the health benefits I'm looking for.

I am working on trying to find ways to cook salmon that will be pleasing to me and cause me to say "tonight I want salmon". In the meantime I am falling back on the fish types I know I love - and one of these is fresh tuna steaks.

This week I pulled out another book I have neglected, Douglas Rodriguez's Latin Flavors on the Grill. This book is a gem - great recipes with fresh ingredients, lots of pictures, and grilling is the recommended cooking method. Right now it is hard to cook outdoors - our gas grill just doesn't hold the heat when it is cold - but this is when a cast iron pan or stove top grill comes in handy.

For as "exotic" as the ingredients might sound, the salsa comes together very quickly. I made it earlier in the day, adding the avocado right before serving to help keep its vibrant green color. Tomatillos have such a fresh flavor, almost like you can taste the "green". If you haven't ever tried it, I highly recommend it. After making the salsa, the rest of the recipe is a snap.

Tuna with Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa (Latin Flavors on the Grill)

Salsa
16 tomatillos, husked and washed
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 ripe, firm Hass avocado, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 poblano chile, seeded and minced
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
1 small white onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T chopped cilantro
2 T olive oil, or garlic oil if you have it (NOTE: I left this ingredient out all together.)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

6 (6oz) tuna steaks, cut one-inch thick
2T oil
Salt and pepper

To make the salsa, place 8 of the tomatillos in a blender with the lemon juice and 2 T of water. Puree well and pour into a bowl. Dice the 8 remaining tomatillos into small dice. Add to the pureed tomatillos, along with the avocado, poblano, jalapeno, onion, garlic, cilantro, olive or garlic oil and salt and pepper. Set aside.

Prepare a medium fire for the grill (or preheat a cast iron piece over medium heat).

Oil and season the tuna steaks, arrange on the hot grate, and grill for 2-3 minutes per side for rare, 4-5 minutes for medium-rare, and 6-7 minutes per side for well done.

Transfer to serving plates, spoon salsa over the tuna and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment