Friday, January 15, 2010

Garlic Cilantro Smashed Potatoes


Garlic Roasted taters, originally uploaded by Kim De.

I don't make potatoes very often. I love them too much. I'm afraid it will start a habit that is too hard to break. So on the rare occasion when I do make them, I want to find a great recipe, and I want to enjoy the preparation process.

After doing some research, I decided to make up my own recipe. As long as you remember to roast the head of garlic in advance, it comes together quickly.

Here. I'll demonstrate.

Garlic Cilantro Smashed Potatoes

1 ½ lbs red skin potatoes
¾ c sour cream or plain yogurt
1/4-1/2 c milk, warmed slightly
2 T butter, room temperature
¼ c chopped cilantro (more to your taste)
1 head garlic
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 425. Cut the top off a head of garlic, sprinkle with olive oil and wrap in foil. Bake 35 minutes or until tender. Let cool then squeeze the soft garlic out of the skins.

Quarter the potatoes. Cover them with cold water, sprinkle with salt and bring them to a boil. Cook for 8-12 minutes or until fork tender. Mash with a fork or potato masher, keeping skins on.

Mix sour cream and butter then add to potatoes along with the cilantro and garlic. Add milk a little at a time until potatoes reach the consistency you desire. Salt and pepper to taste.


Perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment