Thursday, December 17, 2009

Southwest Shrimp and Corn Soup




PC160928, originally uploaded by Kim De.

I think we need a break from the sweets and treat, so I made a healthy soup, that turned out to be a fan favorite!

I found this recipe on the Cooking Light website. I have changed the name, since I have changed so much of the recipe. One big change is the word "chowder" to "soup" because I left out the potatoes. I am not a fan of potatoes or pastas in soup because I like to serve bread next to my soups. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the texture of these two carbs in broth, so I usually find a way to shake things up!


This soup was spicy, but can easily be milder by slicing out the ribs of the chiles, or using only half (or both). Bo LOVED this soup! He has already asked for it again! We both commented on how rich and creamy it was, while being low calorie. It would also be fun to change up the veggies - add chopped fresh spinach, more bell peppers, even some asparagus or green beans. You can even sub chicken for the shrimp, or leave the meat out altogether.

When looking for some relief from the heavy foods of December, I recommend you give this a try!

Southwest Shrimp and Corn Soup (Inspired by Cooking Light)

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped serrano chile (about 1 small)
1 chopped jalapeno (milder in heat then the serrano)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup 2% plain yogurt (1 1/2 c 2% milk can be subbed for the milk/yogurt combo)
1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken or veggie broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 t fresh cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
15 oz frozen corn
1 pound peeled and deveined small shrimp, or medium shrimp cut in half
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and serrano and jalapeno chiles to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add flour to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Mix milk and yogurt with a whisk until well blended. Stir in milk and next 5 ingredients (through corn); bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick. Stir in shrimp; cook 1 minute or until shrimp are done. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment