Saturday, December 5, 2009

Sauteed Green Beans with Tomatoes


PB260831, originally uploaded by Kim De.

Please forgive the blurry picture. It is the last of the ones I took of the Thanksgiving leftovers. I did a quick job of it to get back to my guests.

I'm sure you have noticed, my blogs for last last week have all been leftovers from Thanksgiving with nothing newer. There is a reason for that. I had surgery last Tuesday. Not only was I not able to be up and cooking, I had no appetite and food was the last thing on my mind. I think I have turned the corner today toward recovery and by Monday might even make a homemade dinner!

But on to the beans!

These were excellent! A recipe from Giada, it is something that could be made quickly after a long day at work. I think frozen cut beans would work just as well as the fresh (with a slightly different taste and texture) and with a bit less oil (which wont change a thing, I promise) is a good candidate for full nutrition power. I did make the recipe just as written below, because on Thanksgiving I dont worry about calories but it felt a touch on the oily side, so try cutting in half.

Oh, and the parmesan crisps, couldnt taste them, so I wouldnt worry about including them.

Sauteed Green Beans with Tomatoes and Basil served with Parmesan Crisps (From Giada de Laurentiis)

1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 large shallots, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Parmesan Crisps, recipe follows

Cook the green beans in a large pot of boiling water until just crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain well; set aside.

Melt the butter and oil in a heavy, large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and saute until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add the beans and cook until the juices evaporate and the beans are almost tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Stir in the wine and basil. Simmer 2 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl, and serve.

Parmesan Crisps:

1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Pour a heaping tablespoon of Parmesan onto a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet and lightly pat down. A silicone baking sheet is highly recommended. Repeat with the remaining cheese, spacing the spoonfuls about a 1/2-inch apart.

Bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool.

Yield: 8 to 10 crisps

No comments:

Post a Comment