Sunday, December 13, 2009

Buckeyes


Buckeyes, originally uploaded by Kim De.

I love this time of year! It is the one time I make sweets, treats, and snacks without worry.

This year I made a recipe that so far, in my family, had only been made by my dad. He was the buckeye maker in our house. Since he has been gone, I dont remember anyone else doing them, so I thought this year I would give it a whirl.

Are they difficult to make? Absolutely not! Time consuming is the word to describe them. Rolling the balls then dipping each in chocolate, making care they dont fall off the toothpick, takes patience. But in the end, they are well worth it.

Please feel free to rub the tops to take the toothpick hole out of the top for a more completed look. But my dad never did.

Buckeyes (Family recipe)

1/2 lb. butter
1lb. peanut butter
1 1/2 lbs. confectioners sugar

Melt butter and mix with peanut butter and sugar (add sugar slowly, you may not need all of it). Form into balls and chill 1/2 hour.

12oz. chocolate chips
1/8 bar parrafin wax (adding more if needed)

Melt the above in a double boiler. Dip the balls with a toothpick. Place on wax paper to cool. Can be kept in the refrigerator or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment