Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cardamon Chicken


Cardamon Chicken, originally uploaded by Kim De.

You know the old adage, “third time's a charm”? Well I feel happier with this third and final dish in “Indian Week”.

As I stated before, Bo has sweetly told me they were all good. However when stating the same fact with the chicken, his eyes lit up and I noted more enthusiasm in his voice.

Again, this would be a good recipe for a beginner – it wasnt spicy and it was easy and quick to make. If you are trying to lower calories, low fat yogurt can be used (it is what I used) and light coconut milk would probably fit the bill.

I found the texture, well, interesting. I'm not sure why. I wonder if I'm just being too critical because I know I made it. Maybe if I tasted it at a friend's house I would like it? Who knows.

Like I said, I will try Indian food again. But for the next few weeks, I am content to eat the food cooked by the experts, my friends!


Cardamon Chicken (Adapted from The Food of India)
NOTE: Start this overnight to marinate the chicken

3 lb 5 oz chicken breast, or chicken pieces
25 cardamon pods
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 ¼ in piece of ginger, grated
1 ¼ c greek yogurt (or plain yogurt, drained until thick), separated
1 ½ t ground black pepper
grated rind of one lemon
1 T oil
1 2/3 cups coconut milk
6 green chilies, pricked all over
2 T chopped cilantro
3 T lemon juice

Remove the seeds from the cardamon pods and crush then in a spice grinder. (I did not remove the seeds – I wasnt even sure how) Mix the garlic and ginger with about 3 T yogurt to make a paste. Add the cardamon, pepper and grated lemon rind. Spread this over the chicken , cover and leave in the fridge overnight.

Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan over low heat and brown the chicken pieces all over. Add the remaining yogurt and coconut milk to the pan, bring to a boil then add the chilies and cilantro. Simmer 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked (less time will be needed for breasts). Season with salt to taste, and stir in the lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment