Saturday, September 26, 2009

Roasted Poblano and Corn Soup


corn soup, originally uploaded by Kim De.

Soup season is here! At least it is supposed to be here. It is the end of September according to my calendar. The humidity is still here, the air is still on, but my internal clock wants soup. So soup it is!

I have been looking for a good corn chowder for sometime. I try recipes, I tweak recipes, I combine recipes. The search, I think, is over. Today I believe I found the combination perfect for me. It is smoky, it is creamy, it has good flavor, and it is perfect for dipping a crusty bread.

Creamy Roasted Poblano and Corn Soup (Adapted from Whole Foods Market Cookbook)

1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon unbleached, all-purpose flour
6 cups vegetable stock
1 cup skim milk, 1 cup heavy cream
2 medium poblano chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
1 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1 serrano pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn
2 cups frozen langistino tails
Salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste

In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, green pepper, and onion, Cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low; stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for 5 minutes, being careful not to let the flour scorch. Turn the heat to high and slowly whisk in the stock, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.

Add the milk. Bring the soup to a rolling simmer and then simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the poblano chilies, bell and serrano peppers, langistino and corn. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Add the salt and cayenne pepper. Serve with a crusty bread for dipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment