Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Goat Chops for dinner


Yes, that is not a typo, we had goat chops for dinner. Bo grew up in India where goat meat was typical, and he has hooked me. It is full of flavor, like lamb, but is lean, unlike some lamb. Because it is lean, marinade will help to tenderize it, and I like to cook it slow.

Finding this meat was a complete surprise at the Franklin Farmers Market. I served it along with other finds that day: green beans, red potatoes and pineapple/mango salsa. The plan was to grill the entire dinner, but when the big moment arrived - the grill wouldnt start. SO, everything was roasted instead.


I marinated the goat in balsamic vinegar. They potatoes and green beans were par boiled (again, anticipating grilling them). I then tossed them with a vinaigrette of white wine, white vinegar, chopped fresh rosemary and garlic, blended, then added to a fruity olive oil.

The chops and potatoes were roasted for 30 minutes at 400, then the beans were added and the oven moved to 450 for the last 10 minutes. The sweet and spicy fruit salsa was added to the side and dinner was complete.

It got lots of YUM and vigorous head nods with a smile (this is my barometer that it a meal was a hit!)

2 comments:

  1. Where does one get goat from?! That sure is different, I'm not opposed to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri Ann, I found the goat at the farmers market, but in the past we have found it at the Indian store in town. I think you may be able to find/order it at an international store. good luck! It really is tasty!

    ReplyDelete