Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Another soup in the summer


tortilla soup, originally uploaded by Kim De.

What can I say? I am craving soup! And since I dont see it ending anytime soon, there will be a weekly soup rotation!

Last night, it was Tortilla Soup. It has been years since I have made a tortilla soup, but as I remember, this one is far superior.

I wanted to try it in the crockpot, so the procedure as written was thrown out the window. Instead of precooking the onions in oil, I added all the ingredients to the crockpot. Instead of adding shredded, cooked chicken at the end, I added a bone-in chicken breast at the beginning of the cooking time. I had taken the skin and fat off, figuring there was enough fat left on the chicken to add a touch to the soup.

This recipe turned out great! It may come back, once I have made all the soups on my list!

Tortilla Soup (Adapted from Stop and Smell the Rosemary)

8 white corn tortillas, chopped (I used corn, and next time I think I would only use 4)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 medium onion, chopped
28 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2 Tbs ground cumin
1 Tbs hot chili powder
3 bay leaves
6 cups chicken stock
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 bone-in chicken breast, skinned
1 Tbs fresh lime juice

1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high. Add tortillas, garlic, cilantro and onions. Cook until the onions begin to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bring mixture to a boil and stir in cumin, chili powder, bay leaves and chicken stock. Bring back up to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in salt and cayenne - let simmer for about 30 minutes. When ready to serve, remove bay leaves and add in shredded chicken and lime juice. Let sit for a couple minutes for the chicken to warm through.


Comments: I made it in the crockpot, adding everything at the same time. I left out all oil and let the chicken breast, bone-in, cook with the soup. The chicken had been de-fatted and skinned. I cooked on high for 1 hour, then finished for 5 hours on low. After cooling the soup, I took the chicken out and cut the meat off the bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment